March 23, 2012

Miss Magoo

Miss Magoo practicing her curtsy

In January Miss Magoo turned 8.  It was a very exciting day for her.  My parents came up for the weekend.  And my sister Lorna & her 2 daughters also came, which was a total surprise to Miss Magoo.  As part of her turning 8 she choose to be baptized.  It was a long awaited day for her.  She had been talking about being baptized ever since her brother was baptized 3 yrs ago!!
She decided to have to her dad baptize her.  We choose to have it on a different day as the stake baptism as I really wanted my parents to be able to be there, so it was just her.
And as much as I wanted her baptism to be special for her, I also wanted it to be short, sweet and no problems. I was slightly stressed as I realized that I had never been to a baptism where the parents weren't married, and I wasn't sure what to expect.  Well it went fabulous!  I think it was probably one of the quickest baptisms that I have been to.  My parent both spoke, Miss Magoo's grandma Lois sang, her dad baptized her, she was confirmed and it was over.  I was so relieved that everything went so smoothly.
But what I was the most pleased about was the feeling of peace that I came away with.  As I sat with my mom on my right and Miss Magoo on my left, I felt peace.  On the other side of Miss Magoo sat her dad, and I thought as it began that I would be emotional, but I wasn't.  I had asked my ex's wife to play the piano, and as I sat and watched her play and looked at my daughter and then at my ex I realized that all was as it should be.  None of ours lives are right now what I had thought they would be, but for me and my kids we are good. We are happy and are mostly adjusted to our new normal life.
In all it was a wonderful day, which is all any parent hopes for their child's special day to be.








2 comments:

Marsha said...

This post made me smile. I love that you came together as a family to celebrate this little lady's life and choice to follow Christ. I see in you also the choice to follow Christ, to let go of the past and choose love and peace! So proud of you!

Erika said...

So good to hear Dorri. I'm proud of you for being so strong. You look fabulous, by the way.