November 3, 2010

The "Y"

Today I am grateful for the YMCA, or I guess as they are now calling themselves the "Y". This past spring the kids and I joined the Y. The first few months I'll admit that we didn't use the membership much, didn't take advantage of it like we should have. But that has changed in the last few months. In July I started the kids in swim lessons at the Y. The swim instructors there are great. They are patient and caring. When Miss Magoo started her lessons there she wouldn't even put her head under water. Monday night she jumped in the water, granted in was jumping to her swim teacher, still she jumped in the water!! That is a huge improvement for her. She still has a ways to go with her swimming, but she's getting it, and loving it. PJ loves swimming there too. But he has recently discovered the racquetball courts, and it having a lot of fun there too. Every couple of weeks we make it in to the rock wall room. They kids have a ball climbing the walls, and I don't have to tell them to get off the walls, it's a win win situation. But the main reason that I'm in love with the Y lately is their water aerobics classes. I started taking water aerobics back in August. But I wasn't serious about it. Most weeks I'd go once or twice, I liked, I got a good workout. But I wasn't pushing myself in the classes. But about eight weeks ago I decided that I needed to really start moving in the classes. I'm now going 4 days a week doing an hour class at a time. I love it. I get so much more out of the work-outs than before. And I'm seeing a difference in me too. I have found that not only is it great exercise, it's also a great stress reliever. I love going, it's something I look forward to. I have finally found exercise that I like to do, yea me!