October 15, 2008

What a Glorious Life I Lead

For the last few years I've had a odd sleep pattern. Mr. Man works for a delivery company and has to be there somewhat early (or atleast early in my book). Most mornings he gets up at 4 am, though he has been known to get up as early as 3am if there is something extra going on at work. And while him getting up that early wouldn't be a big deal for some people, it's a huge deal in our house. You see Mr. Man is a DEEP sleeper, I mean deep. (Once, several years ago when I worked full-time and he had to get up while I was at work he slept through an alarm going off full volume on the pillow next to his head for an hour.) If I allowed him to set the alarm for himself he'd wake up the whole family, giving me heart palpitations in the process, and I'm so not willing to deal with my 4 & 7 yr old at that time of the morning. So we have worked out a deal of sorts that for the most part works. I set the alarm on my cell phone ( I can't stand loud alarms waking me up) then I wake him up, once I know he's up and going I try and go back to sleep. Some mornings it works, but most mornings I end up staying awake until it's my turn to get up. I've tried the whole "let him be late for work thing a couple of times and then he'll wake up on time" nope it doesn't work.
Well last Friday the most glorious thing happened! He was moved to the PM shift!!! Hallelujah!! He now doesn't have to leave for work until 11am. And the best part he will actually work a shorter day. When he worked the am shift he'd leave between 4:30 & 5 am and not get home some days till 8pm or later (long days for both of us). There were some weeks that the kids could go for a couple of days without seeing their dad. He'd leave before they were up and get home after they were in bed, life sucked! But with this new shift he'll be done between 7:30 and 8:30pm every night. And while he still won't be here to help put the kids to bed, the best part is that he'll be here every morning to help get the kids up and PJ off to school. Except for Saturdays, he still has to go in very early and cover the whole day, but that's another post. And on the mornings that I don't have to get up early, he's going to get PJ off to school for me and I get to sleep in until 8!!!! As I said, my life has just gotten glorious!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I am so happy for you! Sleep is always a good thing, enjoy!!

Erika said...

Sounds wonderful! Sleeping in is such a treat--you're so lucky!!