November 7, 2008

My Other Half

When it comes to my blessings the one I always count first is my husband.
Mr. Man and I met my last semester at the school formerly known as Ricks (sfkar). He was in my ward and we met for the first time at ward prayer. My first thought was wow, he's cute, next thought was I bet he'd be a great friend. At the time I wasn't looking for more than that. So that night I made a point of talking to him, though he doesn't remember any of it, obviously I made a great first impression. A couple of weeks later it was morp (prom spelled backwards, girls ask guys) and we had out first date, I asked him out, and it was a blast. That was Jan 25ish, 1995. After that we spent a lot of time together, ALOT. We both started feeling like there was really something there pretty quick. And on March 11, 1995 at the train depot in Boise ID he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. We went to Cali for a quick confrence weekend trip so he could ask my dad for permission to marry me. During that trip we also had our engagement photos taken, picked out our cake, colors, and wedding invitations. (wow that was a busy 2 1/2 days). We were married June 15th 1995 (one year to the day the he got home from his mission) in the California Oakland Temple. It was such a special day most of my family was there. Mr. Man's mom & sister and her family was there. It was such a special feeling having our family there in the celestral room as we were married for time & eternity.
So that's the background of our relationship. We have now been married for almost 13 1/2 yrs. We have 2 kids PJ (7 1/2) and Miss Magoo (4 1/2), and they are a special part of our family. But the love of my life is my Mr. Man. He truly is my best friend, I can tell him anything and probably a lot of things he wishes I wouldn't. He is the one that is there for me when I can't sleep because I'm stressed about something that doesn't really matter, but instead of pointing it out he tries to listen. He is the one to tell me "you can do it" when I get frustrated with life. He always tells me that I'm a great mom and that no our kids won't be in therapy for forever when they get older, just for a few years. He works so hard to support our family. His work ethic always amazes me, that he takes such pride in doing something and doing it right. He is honorable, hardworking, loving, kind and sensitive (though he would deny that one).
We have had to move several times for his job, something I told him I would do if he's the one bringing home the bacon. Everytime we have to start over in a new area I know that I can do it because he is there by my side. He brings out the best in me, he makes me a better person. He is an awesome father to our children. They love to just be with him, even if it's just sitting in a chair in his "office" watching him do his school work. He recently went back to school to get his MBA. It is hard to watch him struggle with his classes, to see his frustration when his papers don't come out just right. But I love when he gets so excited that is paper or his presentation went good, to see the pride in him as he does well in his classes. I love that he is a great example to those around him, but especially to me and our children. I am so very thankful for my Mr. Man.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Dorri, that was so sweet! I'm so glad you found a good man, because not everybody is that fortunate.

You go right ahead and steal anything you want. I'm sure others came up with the "thankful" idea before I did. It really does make you happy and more thankful to write about these things, don't you think? We all have so much to be thankful for and I love reading about the blessings in other people's lives. We all have a lot in common, so I'm sure we're all going to be thankful for very similar things, but write on! I'd love to hear more. You may spark something in me that I may need to copy for my blog! Ü