November 10, 2008

Primary

About a year ago I was called to teach in Primary, something I knew was coming. I’ve taught in about 5 or 6 different primaries during my 13yrs of marriage. Currently I’m teaching 1 of the 3 Sunbeam classes in our ward. I have 8 very busy very cute little kids in my class, 2 girls 6 boys. This year of teaching has been a little more challenging for me. I have one of the larger classes in our primary and all of my kids attend regularly (which I’m not complaining about, that’s great, the kids need to come every week it’s important). But because of the largeness and craziness of my class I’ve been in contact with on the counselors in the presidency more than any other time when I’ve taught primary. And I’ve also paid a little more attention to the primary presidency in our ward. I’ve noticed that our current president, Sister B. is struggling a little in her calling. There have been a lot of vacancies in the teaching spots, lots of classes that have to have a sub found at the very last moment. Lots of very busy kids, several of whom have special needs that require a lot of attention. But in all the chaos of our primary I’ve noticed that our president truly loves the kids in our primary. Now like I said I’ve been in several other primaries and I’ve never doubted that the previous presidents that I’ve worked under cared for our kids. In fact the last ward we attended had 3 different presidents during the time I was in the primary. And I know that each one of them cared for our kids, and 2 have a very special spot in their heart for my son in particular. Those 2 presidents made my son who was having a little difficulty adjusting to a new ward feel welcomed and loved. But in our current ward I have come to have a better appreciation for our primary presidency. I’ve been a lot more aware of what they are working with, and struggling with. A couple months ago Sister B walked into sharing time with a very troubled look on her face. It was pretty obvious that she was have quite the day. She started to do her planned sharing time lesson and then changed her mind. She explained to the kids that she was having a rough day and was going to try something different. She told the kids that she was going to walk around the room and address each child by name and then that child had the option of giving her a high-5, shake her hand , or give her a hug, but it was each child’s choice. As she walked around our primary room she knew each child by name, and we have a huge primary. As she approached each child she said their name and then asked what they had chosen to do. I was amazed how many children choose to give her a hug. You could see in their faces that they loved her, and they knew that they were loved by her. And as a parent that meant the world to me. I am so thankful that my children have a Primary President that makes them feel special and loved and knows them by name.

2 comments:

Erika said...

That's awesome! She sounds like a great lady. I've been in primary most of our married life too, but not as a teacher--chorister or pianist. I feel for the teachers and presidencies as I've observed them through the years. Kids have changed since we were little it seems. There are lots of hyper, disrespectful ones. And we often have to find subs at the last minute too. Anyway, I admire all the teachers and leaders who really care about my kids, and you are right how you really can tell when they do. Primary teachers play a big part in a child's life, and I am really grateful for all the different organizations in the church. They are truly inspired! Hang in there with your Sunbeam class! I can just picture you as a great teacher.

miss kitti said...

Wow, I don't know her but she sounds great. What an inspired change of plans -seriously.

It's a good example to me -ask for a hug from Grace next time I feel like screaming.